Corporate / Our Perspective
Indy: Just the Latest Good News
Published May 29, 2012
As I stood in the stands watching the final moments of the Honda-powered victory on Sunday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, I couldn't help but think about how life sometimes imitates sport.
After all, many pundits had counted Honda out before the race started, just as skeptics have speculated about the strength of our auto business in the face of tough competition and some epic natural disasters. I like to think that Dario Franchitti's exciting win at Indy mirrors our own "comeback" success of late.
- KBB recognized the Honda Accord, Civic and CR-V as three of the top four most-visited new cars during the first quarter of 2012 on its website. CR-V and Civic, both all-new for 2012, ranked 1-2 in the entire industry.
- Edmunds gave Honda its 2012 award for Best Retained Value (surely due to the fact that we have by far the highest percentage of retail sales in the industry).
- Honda captured three of AutoPacific's 2012 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards for the 2012 Honda CR-V, Odyssey and Pilot.
- Total Car Score gave Honda four of its inaugural Top Scoring Car Awards - for the 2012 Honda, Fit, Odyssey, CR-V and Ridgeline.
- And KBB named Honda the "Most Trusted Brand" for 2012.
While we're certainly thrilled by these accolades, where you can really see our strength and momentum is with customers during the first four months of 2012:
- Three Honda models ranked among the top 10 best-selling vehicles in the industry.
- The all-new 2012 CR-V is, again, America's best-selling SUV and the third best selling light truck in the industry.
- Civic is the best-selling compact car in the industry (over the past six months).
- And in April, Accord regained its momentum, finishing third among all cars and light trucks and outselling all but one vehicle in the midsize segment, despite being in the fifth and final year of its current model cycle.
And, we've got more good news on the way, including a groundbreaking all-new 2013 Accord that arrives in dealer showrooms this fall.
So, just like at Indy, competition fuels our passion to create something new and innovative for our customers. On the track and in the marketplace, our racing spirit is alive and well.
Executive Vice President
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.