Corporate / North American Operations / Sales
American Honda Sets New All-Time Sales Record in 2003
American Honda sales rose 8.2 percent in 2003 to a new all-time record of 1,349,847 Honda and Acura cars and light trucks. Both the Honda and Acura brands also recorded all-time record results for the year on the strength of popular products including the Honda Pilot and Element, Acura MDX and the all-new TSX and TL performance luxury sedans.
2003 sales highlights:
- All-time record American Honda total vehicle sales of 1,349,847, up 8.2 percent;
- All-time record American Honda light truck sales of 529,718, up 29.4 percent;
- All-time record Honda Division total vehicle sales of 1,178,929, up 8.9 percent;
- All-time record Honda Division light truck sales of 472,437, up 32.6 percent;
- All-time record Acura Division total vehicle sales of 170,918, up 3.2 percent;
- All-time record sales of Odyssey (154,063), Pilot (106,9170)
and Element (67,478);
- All-time record Acura MDX sales of 57,281, up 8.2 percent.
"It's been a banner year for Honda and Acura, driven by class-leading products and a continuing focus on customer satisfaction," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "With an improving economy and exciting new models like our Accord Hybrid on the horizon, we're confident that 2004 will be another very strong year for Honda and Acura."
American Honda also set new December records for total vehicle and light truck sales along with record December sales of Honda light truck models and best-ever December sales for Acura. American Honda total December vehicle sales of 101,647 units topped last year's record of 100,736 cars and light trucks, while American Honda light truck sales rose 6.2 percent to a record 43,615 units for the month.
Honda Division sales in December totaled 86,110 units with record light truck sales of 37,827 units, up 5.6 percent over last year, including record December results for the Pilot (10,583) and Element (4,829). .
Acura finished 2003 with record December sales of 15,537 cars and light trucks, up 21 percent over last year on the strength of MDX, TSX and the all-new TL. Record Acura sales of 170,918 for the full calendar year topped the previous best of 170,469 set in 2001.