The 2011 Acura ZDX is a personal sports coupe that defies categorization. With the stunning good looks of a performance coupe and the four-door convenience and comfort of a sedan, the ZDX is an enticing study in contrasts. Flexible cargo utility and multi-surface, all-season capability further broaden the ZDX's appeal. With its sensuous curves, sharply raked roofline and bold fender flares, the segment-bending ZDX transcends the traditional distinctions between coupe, sedan and sport utility vehicle.
Visually and functionally, the Acura ZDX luxury 4-door sports coupe's inventive "Passionate Getaway" concept defines this Acura as a completely different type of personal luxury vehicle. As the term suggests, the ZDX is designed primarily to provide a means of freedom and escape for two adults and their cargo— whether cargo is luggage for a weekend, sporting equipment or newfound antiques. As such, the ZDX is the perfect enabler of a "passionate getaway" that is simultaneously renewing and rewarding.
Powering this getaway vehicle is a responsive, efficient and clean 300-hp VTEC® V-6 engine teamed with Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) that establishes the ZDX as one of the most innovative luxury vehicles on the market. The ZDX offers a highly personal sports coupe driving experience combined with off-road capability—along with the refinement and quality that Acura customers expect.
As the first start-to-finish design to come from the new Acura Design Studio in Southern California, the ZDX reflects the desires of luxury buyers who want to experience life to the fullest. Developed first and foremost as a driver's vehicle, the ZDX offers an available Integrated Dynamics System (IDS) that provides a choice between Comfort and Sport suspension settings along with variable steering assist that allows the ZDX to effortlessly morph from a supremely comfortable highway cruiser to a formidable back-road dance partner. Developed and tuned using Germany's famed Nürburgring road course, the ZDX chassis is more than capable of handling challenging road conditions— while still retaining off-highway capability.
From the signature Acura front grille to the artful use of strong character lines and the industry's longest continuous glass roof, the ZDX adds a new dimension to the luxury market and sets a new standard for personal expression. This personalized style carries over to the 5-passenger interior, where premium features include a leather-accented instrument panels, sport-oriented leather front seats with heating and available ventilation, available Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System with AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic and Weather™, and an available 10-speaker Acura/ELS Surround® Premium Audio System. Unique features include a multi-view rearview camera system, Collision Mitigating Braking System™ (CMBS™), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and a blind spot information system (BSI).
The ZDX advances the definition of personal style, luxury and performance to the highest level in Acura Division history. Developed by Acura engineers in Ohio and manufactured in Alliston, Ontario, Canada, the ZDX is a significant contributor to North American productivity and jobs. And with its low-impact manufacturing, factory waste recycling programs and a significant reduction in the use of harmful materials, the ZDX is more environmentally friendly.
- 3.7-liter SOHC, aluminum V-6 engine
- 300 hp at 6,300 rpm and 270 lbs-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm
- 11.2:1 compression ratio
- Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC®) for intake valves
- Dual-stage induction system with lightweight magnesium alloy intake manifold
- Computer-controlled Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
- Direct ignition system
- Detonation/knock control system
- High-flow, sport-tuned dual exhaust system with dual stainless-steel outlets
- EPA TIER 2—BIN 5 and CARB LEV II ULEV emissions
- 100,000-mile tune-up intervals*
- Estimated 16/23/19 mpg** (city/highway/combined)
- Sequential SportShift 6-speed automatic transmission
- Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®)
*Does not apply to fluid and filter changes. Exact mileage is determined by actual driving conditions.
**Based on 2011 EPA mileage estimates. Use for comparison purposes only. Do not compare to models before 2008. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.
BODY & CHASSIS FEATURES
- Unit body structure with extensive use of high-strength steel
- Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-functional front headlights
- Acoustic front windshield glass
- Panoramic glass roof
- Power rear tailgate
- Fully independent front suspension with MacPherson struts and coil springs
- Fully independent multi-link rear suspension with trailing arms
- Available Integrated Dynamic System (Active Damper System combined with Electronic Controlled Power Steering)
- Torque-sensing, variable power-assist rack-and-pinion steering
- 19x8.5-inch, 7-spoke aluminum wheels
- Michelin Latitude P255/50R19 103H M+S all-season tires
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- 4-wheel anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
- Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with traction control
- Hill Start Assist
- 1,500-pound tow rating
- LED illuminated Center High Mounted Stop Light (CHMSL)
- Heated outside mirrors with Reverse gear tilt-down feature and integrated LED directional turn signals
- 5-passenger leather-trimmed seating
- 10-way adjustable power-activated driver seat (8-way power seat with 2-way power lumbar support)
- 8-way adjustable power-activated front passenger seat
- Heated front seats
- Dual-zone, dual-mode automatic climate control system
- Automatic humidity control system
- Leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel with LED-illuminated fingertip controls and racing-inspired paddle shifters
- Power tilt and telescoping steering column
- LED backlit gauges with progressive illumination
- High-resolution Multi-Information Display (MID) allows access to multiple electronic functions and customizable feature settings
- Rearview mirror with rear view camera display
- 5-position straight gate transmission shifter
- Electronic cruise control
- 8-speaker audio system with 6-disc CD changer, AM/FM radio, XM® Radio and Bluetooth® Audio
- USB port connectivity (for iPod®, iPhone®, or removable USB mass storage devices)
- Auxiliary jack connectivity (for portable MP3 music players)
- Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® wireless telephone interface
- Panoramic glass roof with tilt, auto-open and key-off operation along with power-operated mesh fabric shades
- 2-position memory function (for seating position, mirror adjustments, radio presets, climate control settings, MID presets and more)
- LED interior illumination and map lights
- Available Technology Package
- Available Advance Package
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure
- Impact-absorbing crumple zones (front and rear)
- Driver and front passenger dual-stage, multiple-threshold Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) airbags
- Driver and front passenger knee bolsters
- Driver and front passenger 2-chamber side airbags, with Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS) for front passenger
- Side curtain airbags (with integrated rollover sensor) for front and second-row outboard seats
- Front seats with active head restraint system
- 3-point adjustable-height front seat belts with automatic tensioning system and load limiters
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child-seat mounting system for the second-row seats
- Upgraded interior trim with perforated full-grain Milano leather seating surfaces
- Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™
- 8-inch, full VGA, high-resolution color display with LED backlighting
- AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic with Traffic Rerouting™
- AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™ with weather radar image maps
- Interface dial (provides quick, intuitive access to navigation, audio, climate control and other features)
- Acura/ELS Surround® premium 10-speaker audio system with DVD-Audio, DTS™, CD, AM/FM radio, XM® Radio, Bluetooth® Audio, 15 gigabytes of hard disk drive (HDD) media storage space (with 3,500-song* capacity) and a 435-watt Digital Signal Processing
- AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System (allows interface between the ZDX and Acura, including the ability to make automated appointments for vehicle service)
- Keyless Access System (with Smart Entry and pushbutton ignition)
- Multi-view rear camera
*Approximate capacity based on an average size of 4.2 MB per song at a 128kbps bitrate
Advance Package (includes all items in the Technology Package)
- Integrated Dynamic System (IDS)
- Active Damper System (ADS)
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
- Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™)
- Blind spot information system (BSI)
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- Premium brushed tricot headliner material
- Sport steering wheel
- LED illumination for door handles
With its groundbreaking exterior design, sumptuous interior appointments and impressive powertrain and chassis dynamics, the ZDX is Acura's new definition of luxury and performance. As a 4-door sports coupe, the ZDX finds its competition in multiple market segments. In the small but growing near-luxury Crossover Utility Vehicle (CUV) segment, the BMW X6 and Infiniti FX35 are direct competitors, but sedans like the Mercedes-Benz CLS or a stylish sports coupe such as the Porsche Cayman may also appeal to the ZDX's target buyer. Regardless, the number of competitors is expected to grow as the population matures, becoming couples again (rather than large family units) and enjoying the fruits of their career success through travel, second homes and unique lifestyle activities.
ZDX customers share a passion for connecting with life in a very real way, with personal experiences taking precedence over possessions. Whether that's snow skiing an undiscovered trail, making a first ascent on a mountain peak, finding an undiscovered winery or collecting antiques, authentic experiences are what drive the ZDX target buyer— and what make the ZDX a personal reflection of the lifestyle that the owner has earned.
The same can be said for the vehicles these individuals drive. ZDX study target customers may own a sports car as well as an SUV, and express interest in a vehicle with the inspired design of a sports coupe together with all-weather and all-terrain capabilities. A sheep in wolf's clothing would not do; their ideal vehicle would need to offer real performance capabilities in addition to luxury and style.
Early in the design process Acura benchmarked the competition to ensure that the ZDX would not only meet Acura's rigid standards, but also equal or surpass its rivals. The reason is simple: With its dramatic exterior design, the ZDX will invite owners of many different vehicle brands into Acura showrooms. And when they drive the ZDX, the experience has to immediately exceed their expectations— no matter what vehicle they currently drive.
All told, the ZDX is designed to capture the attention of a growing market segment with its unique design, premium Acura engineering and authentic usability that invites nothing less than full participation in life's adventures.
ENGINE & POWERTRAIN
The 2011 ZDX uses a 3.7-liter VTEC® V-6 engine that continues Acura's longstanding mission to provide V-8 level horsepower and torque while retaining the size and fuel efficiency of a V-6. The ZDX's 3.7L engine develops 300 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque along with providing immediate acceleration response, outstanding low- and mid-range torque and exciting high-rpm power.
To widen the powerband while simultaneously improving fuel efficiency, the 3.7-liter engine has a 2-rocker arm design VTEC®(Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) system applied to the intake valves, a computer controlled dual-stage intake manifold and an electronic Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system.
EPA estimated city/highway/combined fuel economy of 16/23/19 mpg and a large 21-gallon fuel capacity mean the ZDX has a long cruising range. The ZDX complies with the latest EPA TIER 2 – BIN 5 and CARB LEV II ULEV emissions standards. Performance and fuel economy benefit from the ZDX's 6-speed automatic transmission, and the transmission's quick-response Sequential SportShift function is designed to satisfy the most discerning enthusiast drivers.
Originally tuned on the famed Nürburgring circuit in Germany, the ZDX's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) system provides handling precision that sets a benchmark for SUVs. SH-AWD® uses torque vectoring to actively vary the distribution of power between the front and rear axles (as well as between the left and right rear wheels) to provide maximum power delivery under all driving circumstances. In addition to the torque vectoring, SH-AWD® overdrives the outside rear wheel up to 1.7 percent faster than the front wheels to create a "yaw moment" that helps the ZDX to better rotate around a corner— thus minimizing understeer.
*Based on 2011 EPA mileage estimates. Use for comparison purposes only. Do not compare to models before 2008. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.
BODY & CHASSIS
Designed to merge the emotional appeal of a sports coupe and all-season, all-surface versatility, the ZDX breaks new barriers for Acura and for the luxury market. Its "Passionate Getaway" design honors the driver and passenger first, while also providing an impeccably finished luggage storage area that bests that of most luxury sedans. The rear seat area, with its abbreviated doors and door handles creatively integrated into the C-pillar, accommodates three additional passengers as required for occasional trips. But overall, the ZDX targets its mission as a 2-passenger personal escape vehicle with unmistakable Acura style.
The design of the wide rear fenders and narrow rear cabin give the ZDX a decisive and powerful appearance, but such design also created a significant engineering challenge to put into production. After experimenting with numerous manufacturing processes, a unique stamping process was developed, allowing the ZDX prototype's extremely deep-draw rear quarter panels to become reality. The "Keen Edge" body character lines are also the sharpest in Acura history, further defining and individualizing the ZDX from any other vehicle.
In front, the ZDX adopts Acura's signature "floating" grille, which is surrounded by a honeycomb-design air opening and is finished in an elegant satin metallic. Windswept high-intensity discharge (HID) headlights, aggressive cooling inlets and careful attention to radiator airflow boost cooling efficiency as well as fuel economy. The bodyside is equally inspiring, with strong character lines sweeping rearward, promoting a sense of motion and tension. The dramatically sloping rear body fully delivers on the ZDX's sports coupe inspiration, with large, confident fender flares, a center character line continuing rearward from the hood to the back hatch, and an effective rear lip spoiler that helps air separate cleanly from the vehicle. Located on the roof is a combination AM/FM/XM® Radio fin-type antenna that is a world first for the automotive industry.
Besides the dramatic deep-draw rear quarter panels, the ZDX's signature design element is its panoramic glass roof that provides occupants with a breathtaking view of the world around them. Sliding externally above the roof to maximize interior headroom, the UV-light absorbing glass panel is the largest moonroof ever used on an Acura vehicle. A fixed glass panel above the rear seat further brightens the interior. Altogether, the panoramic glass roof, aerodynamically raked windshield, and unique upper and lower glass panels in the rear hatch give the ZDX an almost uninterrupted glass surface from the front of the windshield to the rear of the vehicle. During assembly, the panoramic glass roof structure is attached to the ZDX from above (instead of inside, as is usually the case) and features flush mounted seals for a supremely low-noise cruising environment.
To help reduce vehicle mass and improve structural rigidity that is important for ride, handling and safety, 48-percent of the ZDX body is constructed of high-strength steel, with an additional 5-percent of the body constructed of key aluminum components (such as the hood and instrument-panel support). The ZDX utilizes MacPherson strut front suspension and a multi-link rear suspension design, with additional rear-suspension subframe connectors for maximum isolation from road noise, vibration and harshness. A choice of wheels includes standard 19x8.5-inch aluminum units—another first for Acura—and available 20x9-inch aluminum wheels. Both wheels carry ZDX-specific Michelin Latitude M+S tires for excellent all-weather performance.
With its Active Damper System suspension, the ZDX's available Integrated Dynamics System (IDS) offers dramatically different driving personalities thanks to separate Comfort and Sport settings. A luxuriously comfortable touring vehicle, the ZDX can turn into a tiger on mountain roads at the quick turn of a switch to change suspension damping modes along with steering feel.
The Active Damper System uses sophisticated Magneto-Rheological design dampers and specific computer algorithms to quickly and continuously adapt to road conditions. The IDS system incorporates the vehicle's speed-sensing power steering as well, giving the driver a satisfyingly different steering feel in each damper mode (Comfort versus Sport).
All ZDX models come with a rear view camera. The standard ZDX displays the rearview image within the rearview mirror, while the Technology Package and Advance Package displays multi-view camera information on the instrument panel-mounted full VGA color Navigation screen. When equipped with the Advance Package, the ZDX also includes a blind spot information system (BSI) that can detect other vehicles when they are in the blind spot of the ZDX driver.
The ZDX has a 1,500-pound tow rating and can be fitted with a Class I hitch, as well as over a dozen other items available from Acura Genuine Accessories.
The ZDX's innovative "2+Freedom" design motive—Acura's term for the ZDX providing two adults with the freedom of escape—extends into the interior, which prioritizes the comfort and convenience of the driver and front passenger. Wide-opening front doors, flowing interior shapes, and niceties such as leather accents throughout the cabin define the ZDX as nothing short of the most dramatic Acura yet. A hand-stitched leather dashboard and center console gracefully sweeps across and down to form the dual cockpit interior design that creates a personal and intimate experience for front seat passengers. Together with a panoramic glass roof, striking LED-illuminated center console, 10-way adjustable power driver's seat and 8-way adjustable power front passenger's seat with seat heaters, the ZDX cuts no corners on comfort or luxury.
The list of standard electronic features is impressive, including LED backlit gauges, a high-resolution Multi-Information Display (MID), XM® Radio, Bluetooth® Audio and USB port connectivity for the 8-speaker audio system, a Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® wireless telephone interface and rearview camera.
Two special packages further define the ZDX. The Technology Package adds a host of premium features such as Perforated Milano leather seating surfaces, a Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, an 8-inch full VGA high-resolution color display, a multi-view rearview camera, AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic with Traffic Rerouting™, AcuraLink Real-Time Weather, a superb Acura/ELS Surround® premium 10-speaker audio system with DVD-Audio, Song By Voice™ (SBV), Keyless Access System (with Smart Entry and pushbutton ignition) among other features. The Advance Package adds valuable driving aids including Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Collision Mitigating Braking System™ (CMBS™), blind spot information system (BSI), ventilated front seats and more.
SAFETY AND CONVENIENCE
The ZDX reaches the next level of safety with its Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure and a comprehensive array of active and passive safety features. Its ACE™ body structure more evenly distributes collision forces throughout the vehicle and helps maintain the integrity of the passenger cabin in the event of a severe frontal collision. Moreover, with ACE™, the ZDX employs a special frame member located below the front bumper that is designed to help engage the front bumper of smaller vehicles.
Numerous standard "active safety" features that help the ZDX driver avoid collisions include Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®), an anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist, and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Additional active safety features included in the available Advance Package include: Collision Mitigating Braking System™ (CMBS™), which helps reduce the likelihood of a collision by alerting the driver to potential collision situations and activating the brakes if the system determines a collision likely is unavoidable; and a blind spot information system (BSI) that can help alert the driver to another vehicle that is nearby.
Passive safety features include a dual-stage, multiple-threshold front airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), 2-chamber front-side airbags with an Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS) for the front passenger, front seats with active head restraints, front knee bolsters, and front seatbelts with an automatic tensioning system with load limiters. Side curtain airbags with integrated rollover sensor deploy in a sufficient side-impact to help protect occupants of the front and rear outboard seats. To help with the installation of child car seats, Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) are standard in the rear outboard seats.
MANUFACTURING & ENVIRONMENT
The Acura ZDX is assembled at Honda of Canada Manufacturing in Alliston, Ontario, Canada. Acura's commitment to preserving the environment continues with the ZDX via further reduction of the use of metals such as chromium and lead, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and polyvinyl chlorides (PVC). In addition, the ZDX is the first Acura vehicle to use a mercury-free Navigation system display screen. In the manufacturing facility, a dedicated line separates different manufacturing scrap materials for recycling.