Corporate / North American Operations / Chronology
Honda Chronology (1989-1980)
06/09/2005 - Torrance, Calif.
- Honda Accord becomes the top-selling auto in the U.S. for the first time (through 1991 for three consecutive years).
- Honda of America Mfg. begins production at second U.S. auto plant in East Liberty, Ohio.
- Soichiro Honda inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame in U.S.
- Honda of U.K. Mfg. begins producing engines in its Swindon, U.K., plant.
- Honda Motor Europe Ltd. is established in U.K. to serve as Honda's European headquarters.
- Honda of America Mfg. produces its one-millionth car, a Civic 4-door sedan.
- Honda-powered Formula 1 cars win the Constructor's Championship, winning 15 of the 16 races.
- Honda Engineering North America Inc. incorporated.
- Honda announces development of high performance VTEC auto engine with variable valve timing.
- Honda reaches the 15 million mark in total car production in Japan.
- Honda products rank 1-2-3 in the 1988 Motor Trend Import Car of the Year.
- Honda begins first export of U.S.-built Accord Coupe automobiles to Japan.
- Honda reaches 50 million mark in total motorcycle production in Japan - the first manufacturer in the world to do so.
- Honda announces a five-part strategy to become an autonomous motor vehicle company in the U.S., including expansion of R&D and production engineering; a second U.S. auto plant; increased local parts sourcing; expansion of the engine plant; and increase of auto exports from the U.S.
- Air bags introduced in the Acura Legend - for the first time in a Honda product.
- American Honda exports first Accord Sedan to Taiwan.
- Honda de Mexico begins producing motorcycles and auto parts.
- Honda produces first auto engine at Anna, Ohio, engine plant (1.5-liter Civic).
- Honda-powered Formula 1 cars win the Constructor's Championship for the first time (through 1991 for six consecutive years).
- J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Index rates Acura number one for the first time (through 1989 for four consecutive years).
- Honda of America Mfg. begins production on second assembly line at Marysville Auto Plant.
- Honda of Canada Mfg. begins production in Alliston, Ontario (with Accord).
- Acura sales network launched in the U.S. with sales of Legend and Integra.
- Honda de Mexico established.
- Honda of America Mfg. begins production of motorcycle engines in Ohio.
- The Honda Accord/Vigor series receive the 1985-86 Japan Car of the Year Award.
- Honda Power Equipment Mfg., Inc., in Swepsonville, N.C., starts production of lawn mowers.
- American Honda Motor Co. establishes American Honda Foundation for philanthropic contributions.
- Honda Research of America Inc. (now Honda R&D Americas) established in Torrance, California.
- Tadashi Kume becomes third president of Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
- Honda re-enters Formula 1 Grand Prix racing.
- Honda Motor Co., Inc. and the Rover Group sign agreement for joint design and development of a luxury passenger car.
- The Honda Civic/Ballade series receives the 1983-84 Japan Car of the Year Award.
- Honda of America Mfg. begins auto production in Ohio with the Accord.
- Car and Driver magazine names the Honda Accord to its list of the Ten Best Cars for the first time.
- Honda announces plans to construct a U.S. auto plant in Ohio.