2005 Honda Odyssey Overview - Part 1
Overview: Advancing the Standard of Leadership
When Honda engineers set out to design the all-new 2005 Honda Odyssey, they faced the challenge of improving on a vehicle that set the standard for the minivan segment in terms of performance, car-like ride and handling, top-level safety ratings, overall refinement and its spacious and uniquely versatile interior with the industry's first fold-away 3rd-Row Magic Seat®. They also recognized the unique quality of the Odyssey in appealing not only to customers' desire for superior utility, but also for its unique style and fun-to-drive character. One expression of this unique quality is the tendency for Odyssey owners to refer to their vehicles as "the Odyssey" and not just "the minivan".
For 2005, Honda has delivered an all-new completely re-engineered Odyssey minivan: a clean-sheet design that improves upon every single one of the Odyssey's existing strengths while providing an added dimension of emotional appeal and aspirational quality through enhancements in styling, premium features, advanced technology and driving performance - built on the foundation of Honda quality, safety and environmental leadership.
Highlights of the 2005 Honda Odyssey:
- Best-in-class performance and fuel efficiency through advanced powertrain technology;
- Enhanced handling and ride quality that approaches the level of a luxury-class sedan;
- Advanced safety technology and performance;
- A more sophisticated, stylish and versatile interior;
- More dynamic and expressive exterior styling;
- Improved interior packaging for increased comfort and utility;
- Exclusive new entertainment and information technologies; and
- New Touring model takes the premium quality of the Odyssey to a new level with unique features and technology never before seen in the minivan segment.
The result is an Odyssey that raises the bar not only in the traditional measurements of minivan performance - safety, space, comfort and utility - but goes a step beyond to deliver a more personally rewarding experience for the passengers and driver alike; a vehicle that changes the definition of minivan excellence through attention to detail in every aspect of the vehicle's performance, function and character.
It's not a minivan... it's an Odyssey.
Key new features of the 2005 Honda Odyssey:
Confident, Luxury Sedan-Like Performance, Ride and Handling
Enhanced engine performance, body design and advanced new technologies deliver ride, handling and NVH performance designed to approach that of a luxury-class sedan
- 255HP VTEC V6 (+15HP) with a new five-speed automatic transmission for class-leading fuel efficiency, power and responsiveness along with improved and ultra-low emissions;
- All-new chassis and body structure with greatly enhanced body rigidity, new fully-isolated front and rear sub-frames and improved suspension design for best-in-class NVH, handling and ride comfort;
- First ever application of Variable Cylinder ManagementTM (VCMTM) technology in a minivan, for class-leading power and fuel efficiency (EX with Leather and Touring models); and
- Innovative new Active Control Engine Mount System (ACM) and Active Noise Control (ANC) technology work to eliminate noise and vibration associated with VCM activation (EX with Leather and Touring models).
Innovative and Versatile Interior
Class-Leading Comfort, Space and Versatility
- New One-Motion 60/40 Split 3rd-Row Magic Seat® with enhanced fold-down capability for improved versatility and ease of operation with three inches of additional third-row passenger legroom;
- Eight-passenger seating courtesy of a new Stowable 2nd-Row PlusOne SeatTM on EX and EX with Leather models that can be converted into a center tray table or removed and stored in the vehicle's new in-floor storage area (with Lazy Susan);
- Available DVD Entertainment System with new and larger 9-inch display, integrated remote control and wireless infrared headphones with personal surround sound, a minivan first;
- Industry-leading Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation SystemTM with expanded Voice Recognition capabilities has new features including rearview camera and Zagat survey information for restaurants;
- Premium interior features for Touring models including Power Adjustable Pedals, Tri-Zone Automatic Climate Control, Power Tailgate, available Satellite-Linked Navigation system with Voice Recognition and integrated Rearview Camera, premium audio, auto headlights, parking sensors, XM® Satellite Radio (with Navi), 6-disc CD changer and a 2nd-row removable center console; and
- Upper and Lower Glove Compartment in instrument panel.
Advanced Safety Performance
New ACETM Body Structure and unmatched list of standard safety features deliver the highest-level of safety protection in the minivan segment
- All-new Advanced Compatibility EngineeringTM (ACE)TM Body Structure for enhanced safety protection with reduced aggressivity toward other vehicles in a frontal collision;
- Comprehensive list of advanced safety features delivered as standard equipment on all models includes ACE body structure; Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®) with Traction Control, four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes (ABS); Brake Assist; advanced driver, front passenger front side airbags; three-row side curtain airbags with rollover sensors; pre-tensioning driver and front passenger seatbelts; and four-ring safety structure with side impact protection beams; and
- Touring models feature new Michelin PAX SystemTM and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with Location and Pressure Indicators for enhanced security and stability in the event of a loss of tire pressure.
Increased comfort, roominess and versatility through enhanced packaging efficiency
- Increased interior dimensions without a significant increase to the exterior dimensions;
- Maintains the same length as the previous model while the width increases by one inch;
- Interior length increased by two inches; width increases by one inch;
- Class-leading third row legroom - up three inches from 2004 model;
- Available eight-passenger seating capability with Stowable 2nd-Row PlusOne Seat™;
- Full-size 2nd-row captain's chairs; and
- In-floor storage area with a lazy Susan storage console (EX and above).
A Symbol of Innovation
The Honda Odyssey has long been a symbol of innovation not only in the minivan segment but also in the automotive industry in general. Features like its superb handling and the Magic Third Row SeatTM model helped to further set the Odyssey apart from the competition. As others have copied features from the original design, Honda is delivering a fresh round of advanced technology and features designed to cement the Odyssey as the overall benchmark in innovation, performance and safety. Minivan firsts for the 2005 Odyssey include:
- First minivan to use Variable Cylinder ManagementTM (VCM)TM technology for improved fuel economy;
- First minivan to employ an Active Control Engine Mount System (ACM) and Active Noise Control (ANC) Technology;
- First minivan to provide Three-Row Side Curtain Airbags with Rollover Sensors and Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®) as standard equipment;
- First minivan with Stowable 2nd-Row PlusOne Seat™;
- First minivan with voice recognition capabilities; and
- First minivan with Michelin PAX SystemTM.
All-New Touring Package Moves Odyssey into Premium Luxury Territory
The 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring package provides the ultimate level of technology and luxury in one convenient package. As the light truck market expands into a more sophisticated mode of transportation, the demand for premium features is increasing in the minivan segment. The 2005 Odyssey meets this demand by incorporating more than a dozen exclusive and upscale features along with special interior trim, seamlessly blending premium luxury into a minivan package. The result is a vehicle that can deliver the best of all worlds - performance, luxury, safety, technology and functionality - with seating for seven adults.
The 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring model builds on the already full-featured EX model with leather interior, Variable Cylinder ManagementTM (VCMTM) and Active Noise Control (ANC) by adding a power tailgate, power adjustable pedals, tri-zone automatic climate control, a removable 2nd-row center console, a driver memory seat, a programmable Multi-Information Display, unique interior trim, automatic day/night rearview mirrors, a 115-volt power outlet and more. XM® Satellite Radio is standard equipment on EX with Leather and Touring models equipped with the available Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with Voice Recognition and Rearview Camera. (The navigation system is the only factory option on the full-featured Touring model, which offers customers a simplified ordering/purchasing process compared to some competitors' complicated option packages).
Additionally, the Touring model includes the Michelin PAX SystemTM, a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) with location and pressure indicators, body-colored front and rear parking sensors, fog lights and auto-off headlights as standard equipment.The Touring model was designed inside and out to appeal to sophisticated buyers from young families to empty nesters and everything in-between.
Interior: Sophisticated Luxury Meets Comfort and Functionality
- Standard Three-Row Side Curtain Airbags with Rollover Sensors,
- Available 8-Passenger seating (EX and EX with Leather) with Stowable 2nd-Row PlusOne Seat™;
- One-Motion 60/40 Split 3rd-Row Magic Seat®;
- Standard In-Floor Storage with Lazy Susan (EX and above);
- 2nd-Row Power Windows;
- Instrument Panel-Mounted Shifter;
- Integrated 2nd-Row Sunshades (EX and above);
- Conversation Mirror with Sunglasses Holder (EX and above);
- Tri-Zone Automatic Climate Control (Touring);
- Power Adjustable Pedals (Touring);
- Premium Audio System (Touring):
- Honda DVD Entertainment System with larger 9-inch display, integrated remote control, and wireless headsets with personal surround sound;
- Active Noise Control (ANC) (standard with VCM on EX with Leather and Touring),
- Available XM® Satellite Radio on EX and above models (standard on navigation-equipped models); and
- Available Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation SystemTM with Voice Recognition and Rearview Camera (EX with Leather and Touring).
The same innovative thinking that shaped the groundbreaking 1999 Odyssey continues with the all-new 2005 Odyssey. The 1999 Odyssey interior redefined the role of a minivan with its solid ergonomics, outstanding comfort with functionality, and of course, the three-passenger Third Row Magic SeatTM. The Odyssey and its innovative features have influenced other manufacturers, and the 2005 Odyssey is poised to raise the bar once again.
With first class seating areas in all three rows and an emphasis on comfort and space efficiency, interior innovations focus on safety equipment, additional seating capacity (eight passenger available), in-floor storage, and more accessible and flexible third row seating. Sophisticated interior styling enhancements and available features such as a tri-zone climate control, power moonroof and XM® Satellite Radio bring a new level of luxury to the Odyssey. While some minivans utilize a folding 2nd row seat to improve cargo space access, the Odyssey uses full captains chairs (removable) that slide forward and back by up to 10 inches as well as sliding together or apart. Not only does this approach provide enhanced cargo flexibility, it helps ensure that the frequently used second row seats maintain a high level of comfort and flexibility.
The 2005 Odyssey now provides six individual Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) airbags with coverage areas in all three rows of seating with a new side curtain airbag system that incorporates rollover sensor technology. For comparison, the 2004 Odyssey, which achieved a 5-star rating for front and side impacts from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), had four individual airbags - standard driver's and front passenger's supplemental restraint system (SRS) airbags along with driver's and front passenger's side airbags. Internal Honda testing shows that the 2005 Honda Odyssey will achieve a 5-star rating for front and side impacts from NHTSA.
Moving beyond comfort, functionality and safety, the interior decor emphasizes the style and sophistication consistent with a premium luxury sedan. A deeply sculpted dashboard, attractively integrated trim pieces, along with a solid and precise fit and finish throughout help elevate the overall Odyssey interior experience. Seating for eight passengers is standard on the EX and EX with Leather trim levels courtesy of an innovative new Stowable 2nd-Row PlusOne SeatTM that can be quickly and easily removed then stored in the in-floor storage area when not needed. For easier access to the third row, the second row seats now use a convenient walk-in slide mechanism (similar to those commonly found on 2-door coupe automobiles).
An in-floor storage area (with a rotating Lazy Suzan storage tray on EX, EX with Leather and Touring models) has been added in between the first and second rows. Tri-Zone Automatic Climate Control and a moonroof are standard on EX trim levels with leather interior and the Touring model. The new ultra-luxurious Touring model adds to the luxury sedan theme with features such as adjustable power pedals, unique interior trim, high-power 360-watt premium audio system, and a power tailgate. Overall, the new Odyssey offers more creature comforts than ever on all trim levels as it achieves top-of-the-class levels of quietness, comfort and safety.
Body: Sporty Demeanor Encases Advanced Safety Design
- Advanced Compatibility EngineeringTM (ACE)TM Body Structure,
- Width increased 1-inch,
- Torsional and bending rigidity increased 20 percent,
- Reduced NVH,
- Available Power Tailgate added,
- Available moonroof, gaps reduced between body panels by as much as 1.5mm,
- Lightweight sound deadening material utilized,
- Aerodynamics increased (about 5 percent),
- Larger fuel tank (+1 gallon)
The Odyssey's body is designed to provide a low, flat floor with a large cabin and the ultimate in minivan functionality. Increased body rigidity (+20 percent), increased width (+1-inch) and a larger capacity fuel tank (+ 1 gallon) are some of the new body features. The Odyssey's re-designed sheet metal exhibits a solid and dynamic direction with styling accents that create a uniform beltline around the vehicle. The lines generate a powerful stance and an enveloping feeling of safety. Yet, safety for the Odyssey is much more than skin deep.
The 2005 Odyssey employs Honda's revolutionary new Advanced Compatibility EngineeringTM (ACE)TM Body Structure system. This newly developed front-end frame structure incorporates new upper and lower frame members to significantly enhance energy dissipation in a frontal collision. The design also helps reduce the potential for misalignment with the frame of the opposing vehicle. Taken together, these features result in increased compatibility between vehicles of different size categories for significantly enhanced occupant protection and reduced aggressivity toward other vehicles in a collision.
Chassis: Performance Beyond a Minivan
- Redesigned MacPherson Strut Front Suspension,
- Redesigned Double Wishbone Rear Suspension,
- Floating Rear Subframe,
- Larger Standard Wheels and Tires (P235/65R16),
- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®) with Brake Assist,
- Available PAX SystemTM with Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with Location and Pressure Indicators
The handling of the Odyssey has always demonstrated that a minivan can have
sporty aspirations in addition to utility and comfort. Considered by many to
be the best handling minivan, the target for the all-new Odyssey chassis tuning
went from secure and solid car-like on the previous model to sports luxury sedan-like
for the 2005 model. Major refinements have been made to reduce road noise, increase
steering linearity and firmness with a better on-center feel, improved ride
comfort and better overall rigidity. Translation: the new Odyssey soaks up bumps
and feels more stable and less fatiguing while driving on uneven pavement surfaces
or in strong crosswinds, plus it is more fun to drive. The choppy feeling caused
by the expansion joints in cement slabs has
been greatly reduced along with the sounds and vibration forces transmitted from hitting potholes and bumps.
The changes to the chassis are extensive and provide significant ride and handling benefits. Improved ride comfort has been assisted by bigger tires, larger and stronger bushings, and revised shock absorber placement/tuning on the double wishbone rear suspension. Additionally through these changes, front-end dive and body roll is noticeably reduced.
Enhanced stability has been achieved through the addition of a new generation of Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®) with Traction Control that independently engages the four-wheel disc brakes during heavy cornering to reduce oversteer and understeer conditions. Plus, the Traction Control now modulates fuel delivery in addition to the ignition system during low traction situations. The VSA system is standard on every Odyssey model and trim level as part of Honda's Safety for Everyone commitment.