Honda Marine / BF60
Honda Marine BF60 EFI: General Overview
Ideal for pontoons, aluminum bass and walleye boats, small center consoles, skiffs, and inflatables, Honda Marine's all-new BF60 offers a host of Honda-exclusive technologies and consumer benefits.
The all-new BF60 EFI redefines four-stroke performance thanks to a full complement of performance and efficiency-oriented technologies. The engine's high-performance gear case and 2.07:1 gear ratio, coupled with Honda's revolutionary Boosted Low Speed Torque (BLAST) system, create a strong holeshot and competitive top-end speed. Additionally, trolling speeds adjustable to 750 RPM make the BF60 ideal for fishing. The BF60 is also available in a special Power Thrust configuration, which offers a unique Power Thrust gear case with a 2.33:1 gear ratio for increased thrust under heavier loads - perfect for pontoon applications. Power Thrust also optimizes the BF60's 50-degree steering angle by providing additional thrust in close quarters for an astonishingly tight turning radius.
Delivering fuel to the BF60's inline 3-cylinder, 998 cc engine is a Multi-Port Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) system. Mated to a dynamic engine control module (ECM), EFI delivers easy starting and top fuel economy in a lightweight package.
Honda's exclusive Lean Burn Control system automatically adjusts the air/fuel mix according to speed and load, delivering best-in-class fuel efficiency in "cruise mode" from 3,000 to 4,500 rpm. The engine also realizes exceptional fuel efficiency at low rpm, and operates as low as 750 rpm for slow trolling.
The engine's best-in-class 22-amp alternator (17 amps charging), ignition, and other critical components are mounted near the top of the powerhead to ensure that all are kept cool and dry.
In addition to Honda's exclusive, double-sealed and multi-layered Four-Front Corrosion Protection (paint) System, the BF60 EFI offers several other features designed to prevent damage caused by the harsh marine environment. A unique one-touch anode check system and improved waterproofing inside the engine cover and gear case are just a few of the innovative features Honda has added to promote the motor's long-term durability. Forward-mounted water pickups enhance the engine's cooling characteristics, while large sacrificial anodes have been added to the gear case to further deter corrosion. Finally, a freshwater flush port serves to remove salt water and debris from the engine after use, greatly improving the engine's long-term durability.
Ease of Maintenance
In addition to exceptional fuel efficiency and performance characteristics, the BF60 EFI also incorporates a number of features designed to facilitate maintenance. An automotive-type oil filter and color-coded oil fill and dipstick simplify fluid level checks and changes. Additionally, the BF60 is compatible with Honda's HDS portable diagnostic system to facilitate on-water service.
BF60 EFI at a Glance
- Best-in-class holeshot and top-end performance
- Best-in-class fuel economy
- High-performance gear case with low 2.07:1 gear ratio
- Superior battery charging capacity
- True 5-year, factory-backed, non-declining limited warranty
- One-touch adjustable trolling speed (750 - 1,000 RPM)
- Boosted Low Speed Torque (BLAST) system
- Lean Burn Control with oxygen (O2) sensor
- Rudder Angle Indicator
- High-performance gear case design
- 22-amp alternator with 17-amp charging capacity (Standard)
- 27-amp alternator with 22-amp charging capacity (Power Thrust)
- Best-in-class battery charging capacity
- Tilt Limit Mechanism
- 50-degree right-and-left steering angle (Power Thrust models)
- Power Thrust model with 2.33:1 gear ratio
- Patented 4-Front Corrosion Protection System
Ease Of Use
- Multi-Port Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
- Multiple cowl latch points for watertight seal and superior protection
- Color-coded oil fill and dipstick
- Trolls to 750 rpm
- New adjustable-angle tiller handle
- Complies with NMEA 2000 standards
- Freshwater flush port
- Rudder Angle Indicator
- Reversible throttle control (tiller models)
- Stainless steel components
- Engine alert system
- 3-step angle adjustable tiller handle (7°, 13°, 21°)
- Top-mounted oil fill
- Automotive-type oil filter
- Engine command system