Sao Paulo Indy 300
- The 2012 season marks the return of manufacturer competition to the IZOD IndyCar Series after six years of Honda serving as single engine supplier. Chevrolet and Lotus have joined Honda in providing engines to the full-season starting field.
- Simon Pagenaud of Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports leads the 10-driver Honda-powered contingent in the IZOD IndyCar Series drivers’ championship. Pagenaud comes to Brazil ranked third, just two points behind Helio Castroneves, in second. Pagenaud also leads the Rookie of the Year standings, with Honda driver Josef Newgarden second.
- Second-place finishes at the season-opening St. Petersburg and Barber Motorsports Park races last month have Target Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon fourth in the championship standings, four points behind Pagenaud.
- Dixon has led more laps this season, 75, than any other driver, including race-high totals of 37 laps at St. Petersburg and 38 at Barber. Castroneves is ranked second with 56 laps led, followed by Will Power, third with 48 laps led.
- Honda-powered drivers have led 149 laps this season, while Chevrolet drivers have led a total of 126 laps. Race lap leaders for Honda include Dixon (75), Takuma Sato (27), Pagenaud (26), Justin Wilson (15), Dario Franchitti (5) and Graham Rahal (1).
- Honda comes to this weekend’s race second in the Manufacturers’ Championship, with 18 points, to 27 for Chevrolet. Lotus is third, with 12 points.
HONDA CIVIC Si PACE AND SAFETY CARS
- A fleet of 2012 Honda Civic Si coupes and sedans have been prepared by Honda Brazil for use as Safety Cars and Pace Cars at the Sao Paulo Indy 300, replacing the Honda Brazil-supplied Accords formerly used for the Sao Paulo race.
- Modifications installed by Honda Brazil are similar to the changes made to the US-based Honda Civic Si safety cars. They include Sparco seats and four-point racing harnesses; high-performance brakes with four-piston calipers, competition rotors, racing pads, and stainless brake lines; a Honda Genuine Accessory aerodynamic body kit, consisting of front, side and rear under spoilers; installation of a Borg-Warner K16 turbocharger; performance engine mapping and an IZOD IndyCar Series graphics package.