Powersports / Motorcycles / Motocross
2012 Honda CRF450R Features & Benefits
Since its introduction, the CRF450R has served as the standard by which all other bikes are judged in the big-bore class of motocross machines. In 2012, Honda raises the bar once again with a host of improvements that will help the CRF450R stay at the head of the pack. New stiffer fork construction among other refinements bring a more solid feel to the front end, and stiffer fork springs, revised suspension settings front and rear plus a new shock linkage yield improved tracking, more precise handling and added rider confidence over rough terrain. New, longer and wider footpegs offer more support with a larger platform and Dunlop's premium MX51 tires add to an overall package that makes the CRF450R the bike of choice in the open-class for 2012.
New for 2012
- New, stiffer fork outer tubes and front axle collars bring a more solid feel to the front end.
- Stiffer fork springs, revised suspension settings front and rear plus a new shock linkage yield improved tracking, more precise handling and added rider confidence over rough terrain.
- New footpegs are wider and longer for more support, and are now silver color.
- Premium Dunlop MX51 tires front and rear.
- New chain roller for added durability.
- Liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam® 449cc engine utilizes a four-lobe camshaft and individual rocker arms for each exhaust valve to reduce weight and contribute to high rpm ceiling.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) system utilizes a single 46mm throttle body design with 12-hole injection nozzle fed by lightweight 50-psi pump to ensure optimum fuel atomization and precisely targeted fuel charge.
- PGM-FI system monitors throttle position, intake air and coolant temperatures and air pressure to accurately map fuel charge and ignition spark, significantly improving partial-throttle response and helping ensure excellent rideability.
- Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil and reduces the amount of circulating oil, allowing the oil pump size to be reduced.
- Exhaust system incorporates a left-side cylinder-head exhaust port, increasing header length and allowing muffler to be positioned closer to center of mass, contributing to significantly improved weight distribution and handling.
- Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump.
- Front fork features stiffer springs, more rigid outer tubes and all-new valving for increased stability, improved control and increased ride plushness.
- Revised shock valving offers improved tracking and control while maintaining consistent bump impact performance.
- New suspension linkage assembly produces improved chassis balance, increased stability, tracking, and rider confidence in rough terrain.
- Honda Progressive Steering Damper (HPSD)-equipped twin-spar aluminum frame produces nimble turning and confidence-inspiring handling.
- HPSD features a compact damper attached to the lower triple clamp and the steering head to allow more aggressive steering characteristics and assist straight-line handling. Damping action smoothly progresses as handlebar deflection increases, which produces very natural steering characteristics and feel.
- Removable rear subframe allows easy air filter access while maintaining a narrow bike profile.
- Air-Oil-Separated (AOS) fork features exclusive Honda 48mm-diameter fork made by KYB with all-new damping settings.
- Pro-Link® Rear Suspension features exclusive KYB integrated-reservoir shock absorber with all-new damping settings.
- Link-type front-brake master cylinder and a lightweight 240mm brake rotor provide strong braking.
- 240mm rear-brake rotor features works-style pattern and uses a lightweight plastic disc guard.
- Compact muffler lowers sound emissions to 94 dB.
- Engine stop switch features an integrated LED pre-ride check indicator. This confirms the PGM-FI system is operating normally.
- PGM-FI tuning connectors located behind radiator shroud for easy access.
- Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, seat and footpeg height to place the rider's legs at the narrowest part of the frame for improved comfort, handling and feel.
- Adjustable front-brake lever for improved control.
- Quick-adjust clutch perch for easy cable adjustment.
- Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to help reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
- Front brake rotor cover shields against damage from roost and rocks.
Honda Genuine Accessories*
- American Honda will also be offering a lineup of Honda Genuine Accessories for the 2012 CRF450R. The HRC-branded line will include performance accessories such as HRC PGM-FI Tuning Kit, Plastic Skidplate, Radiator Brace, Red Billet Duraluminum Oil Level Gauge, Billet Duraluminum Triple Clamp, Red Billet Duraluminum Engine Cover Inspection Plug, Red Billet Duraluminum Oil Filler Cap, Red Billet Duraluminum Oversize Handlebar Holder, Red Billet Duraluminum Rear Brake Adjuster Clevis, Red Billet Duraluminum Front Master Cylinder Cap, Red Billet Duraluminum Rear Master Cylinder Cap, Red Billet Duraluminum Front Wheel Spacer Set, Red Billet Duraluminum Rear Wheel Spacer Set, Rear Master Cylinder Guard, Red Billet Duraluminum Quick Adjust Axle Block. Select accessories will also fit the 2010-2012 CRF250R.