For years, the XR400R has remained the most popular choice among off-road enthusiasts looking for a sublime combination of power, handling and durability.
Features & Benefits
New for 2004
• New Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.
• Lightweight and compact 397cc dry-sump four- stroke engine develops excellent power and torque, especially at low and mid- range rpm.
• Radial Four-Valve Combustion Chamber (RFVC™) for maximum combustion efficiency and horsepower.
• Superb engine response in changing elevations.
• High-efficiency oil cooler supplements the cooling effect of the oil-carrying frame and the large cylinder-head fins.
• Gear-driven counterbalancer for engine smoothness.
• 36mm carburetor for crisp throttle response at all rpm.
• Dual intake and exhaust ports for maximum engine efficiency.
• Free-flowing three-chamber USDA-qualified muffler/ spark arrester provides high power output.
• Stainless steel dual exhaust header resists corrosion.
• Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioner.
• Five-speed transmission with specially designed shift mechanism for light and accurate shifting.
• Primary kickstarting with automatic camshaft- integrated decompression system for easy starts. Supplemental manual decompressor is fitted.
• Maintenance-free CD ignition with electronic advance.
• High-output, 45-watt ACG.
• Easily removable CR®-type clutch cover gives quick and easy access for clutch maintenance.
• Heavy-duty O-ring-sealed chain for reduced maintenance.
• Computer-designed semi-double-cradle frame stores and circulates engine oil.
• Easily detachable rear subframe eases maintenance.
• Swingarm pivot is combined with rear engine mount for compactness, light weight and a reduction in the number of components.
• Large box-section aluminum swingarm has snail- type axle adjusters.
• Semi-double-cradle high-tensile steel frame with square-section downtube is lightweight and rigid.
• Large-section 43mm Showa cartridge fork has thin- wall extruded aluminum lower slider-tubes with bonded end-caps carrying double pinch-bolts for rigid axle-mounting. Minimal fork- protrusion below axle increases clearance in ruts.
• Pro-Link® rear suspension with fully adjustable high-quality Showa rear shock.
• Lightweight hubs and rims incorporate straight-pull spokes.
• Rear disc brake utilizes a quick-detach rear wheel system.
• Brake levers, master cylinders, calipers and rotors are the same as those used on Honda's CR models.
• 18-inch rear wheel for greater tire selection.
• CR-bend handlebar provides excellent rider position.
• Enduro-style headlight and taillight.
• Combination two-piece headlight/number plate directs cool air to the engine and oil cooler.
• Lightweight, tubular aluminum engine guard.
• Durable, wide front and rear fenders.
• Lightweight forged aluminum kickstarter.
• Folding shift lever and brake pedal tips.
• Large, 4.5-liter airbox features hinged cover for quick access to filter.
• Low, slim seat has high-density urethane padding and an extra-thick seat cover for good comfort and durability.
• High-quality handlebar, comfortable grips and dogleg levers with new-style brush guards.
• Wide-section, comfortable footpegs are cleated, folding and self-cleaning.
• Resettable, easy-to-read three-digit competition tripmeter.
• Transferable six-month limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
• Ownership includes one-year complimentary Membership in the Honda Rider's Club of America™. Benefits include discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance and much more. For HRCA® details, call 1-800-847-HRCA.
• Optional HRC® Power-Up Kit, for closed-course use only, increases peak power by 15 percent and provides broad additional power throughout the rpm range.