Few motorcycles stand the test of time as well as the Honda Monkey. The diminutive model has evolved considerably since its inception, though its mission to maximize fun in a pint-size package remains unchanged. Its styling and spirit are true to its roots, which date back to 1961 when the model was developed for a Honda-owned Japanese amusement park called Tama Tech. While the Monkey is very much vintage-inspired, its 124cc engine, plush suspension and ABS brakes are anything but, offering the best in modern performance. Popular among riders of all ages, this nostalgic miniMOTO continues to be a staple of the Honda lineup.
ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN
The Monkey has a fifth gear for more comfortable cruising, thanks to a modern engine with a wider spread of gear ratios and a 37-tooth rear sprocket. The Monkey's power plant provides peppy acceleration from low speeds. The 124cc two-valve, overhead-cam, air-cooled engine has an undersquare design, with a narrow bore and long stroke.
- True to its origins, the Monkey's horizontal SOHC 124cc single-cylinder engine is simple, robust, and tuned to deliver useful around-town performance.
- Air-cooled, with bore and stroke of 50.0mm x 63.1mm and compression ratio of 10.0:1, fed by PGM-FI, it produces strong, enjoyable power all the way through the rev range.
- Simplifying maintenance, a replaceable oil filter is used.
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
The Monkey's steel backbone frame has been tuned for a suitable balance between rigidity and supple feel—perfect for the wide variety of conditions the machine is sure to be ridden in. Oval in cross-section, the swingarm echoes the circular design theme that runs through the bike.
- Wheelbase is 45.0 in., while rake and trail are 25°/82mm for confidence-inspiring handling.
- Wet weight is a mere 231 pounds, with a seat height of 30.5 inches.
- High-density urethane seat with 70mm cushion contributes to comfortable ride and iconic looks.
- The inverted fork is matched by dual shocks for a compliant-yet-sporty ride.
- A single 220mm front disc and a 190mm rear provide secure stopping performance and can be managed by the available IMU-based ABS.
- Fat, 12-inch block-pattern tires make for a smooth ride and are sized 120/80-12 65J front and 130/80-12 69J rear.
- Head pipe, main frame, and engine hanger plate offer optimal strength for stable handling.
Classic Monkey styling, including curved surfaces and a trapezoid silhouette highlighting the compact length, harken back to the loveable design of the original Monkey models, putting enthusiastic smiles on the faces of riders and bystanders alike.
- Glossy 1.5-gallon fuel tank, finished in the same paint color as the frame, swingarm, and shocks, crowns the machine, and proudly wears a historic 3-D "Old Wing" design Honda logo.
- Chrome steel high-mount front and rear fenders—plus the evocatively stamped exhaust shield, circular mirrors, and high-rise handlebar—all pay homage to the original.
- Modern technology is fully present within the reincarnation of the classic look: a digital full-LCD circular meter features speedometer, odometer with two trip meters, and six-segment fuel-level indicator.
- The "wave" pattern key wears the "Old Wing" motif.
- LED lighting adds modern touch, durability, and energy efficiency to a classic design.
Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a HondaCare® Protection Plan
# # #